Buckingham, Methodist United Reform Church, Well Street

Copyright © Kevin Quick. Photo taken 2004


The building is located on the site of the original Methodist Chapel. The foundation stone for the old chapel was reputedly laid on 2nd March 1791 (coinciding with the death of John Wesley), but this seems doubtful, as the site was not purchased until 3rd March 1792 for the intention of building a chapel. In March 1834 an estimate of £486 pounds was accepted for a major enlargement, and addition of a lower school.

In May 1964 a crack was discovered in the front wall, and some time later after a fall of masonry the decision was taken to demolish the old building and to build the new chapel. On the 24th February 1968 the new chapel was opened.


Buying a prints of photos on this web site  To Bucks Church Photos  To Bucks Village Photo Page  To Beds Church Photos  To Beds Village Photos  Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society